Thursday, June 07, 2007

Who would have known?


Work brings me to Culver City about once a week and each time I discover another gem. Although Cafe Surfas is not new to me...it's one of my favorites. Surfas restaurant and cooking supply has been around since 1937 and with this years addition of Cafe Surfas, it makes the perfect lunch time stop and shop. I'm like a kid in a candy store. The store offers gourmet foods and oodles of awesome cooking supplies for everyone from the recreational to professional cook. Today I picked up an OXO Mandoline. I've wanted a mandoline for a while and this one got great reviews by Gourmet Magazine so there you have it. All that walking up & down the seemingly endless isles of wares, made me hungry!

How convenient....the cafe is right through the doors! I take my usual stance in the center of the cafe. This way I can clearly see the beautiful cheese case, with a connecting case holding sandwiches just waiting to be dressed, grilled and served. The side salads are all wonderful. My favorite is a pea, minced red onion, Spanish ham salad dressed with creme fresh. Today I decide on the Roasted Turkey Club. Turkey, grainy mustard, sauteed arugula, Taleggio Cheese grilled on Rosemary Bread. Yes..... it was delicious. The sandwiches are served with baby greens lightly tossed with a raspberry vinaigrette and pickles. I pass on the hand crafted sodas and go with a simple bottled water for a near perfect lunch that never disappoints.

Everything from the Kobe Beef Haute Dog with horseradish mustard, blue cheese cream, cioppolini onions on a french baguette or the Kurobuto Ham Panini with Snake River Farms Kurobuto Ham shaved thin, Schoolhouse Kitchen Chutney, appenzellar cheese on rosemary bread are divine. They also serve some incredible breakfast sandwiches, soups and salads. Next time you find yourself in Downtown Culver City, swing over to Washington, do some kitchen shopping and grab a little something to eat!

5 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I bought a mandoline a while back but had a lot of difficulty with it. Perhaps I should try an OXO one. Their products are usually superior.

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb. I found you! Great blog, another one to add to my list!!

Carolyn T said...

Surfas is just the BEST. I live in Orange County too (Tustin Hills) and about every 2 years a girlfriend and I drive up there to stock up on their foodstuffs. Very fun. We usually bring along a large ice chest half full of ice in case we buy any refrigerated or frozen foods. Therefore, we usually go to lunch FIRST, then shop and drive home immediately afterwards. Am glad to know there's now the restaurant - I just read about it a few days ago. Sounds like a winner.

Deb said...

Hi Carolyn, thanks for stopping by! Tried to check out your blog but denied?! Share! ;)

natalie@theliquidmuse.com said...

Yum!

Culver City has some great spots. I last tried Tender Greens. Loved it!

(We should go together sometime!)