Sunday, October 14, 2007

Cocktail anyone?

A good cocktail and something wonderful to eat. I'm challenged to think of anything better. My favorite mixology blogger Natalie, over at The Liquid Muse has something fun going...Mixology Monday's, or Mix Mo. She and her mixologist friends are taking turns hosting this new Monday event (who better than Natalie, right??)and this Monday it's all her.

First off, let me come clean with my lack of experience of what cocktail pairs best with what dish….I just know what I like. Is that a crime??

My favorite food/meal/cocktail pairing is an easy one. I like my cocktails straighforward, my food reliable. That makes it easy...a big bone in ribeye, (medium rare), lobster mashed potatoes, steamed asparagus with lemon and butter, followed by a good single malt scotch.

Let’s just say that’s my favorite way to ‘get down to business”’. ;)

4 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

Natalie is great. You should also take a look at Anita's site, Married With Dinner.

Shawn said...

What a meal -- I am tempted tomake it this weekend. I'd make it now if I had the ingredients!

Do you have a recipe for the lobster mashed potatoes? I'm hoping they are buttery, creamy and garlicky. I'm not averse to coming up with a spin on it, but I'd love to know what you had in mind.

What kind of single malt do you like? I lean towards the smokier varieties -- Lagavulin, Talisker, Oban.

Deb said...

Hey Shawn! Macallan 18 is a favorite. Pricey for home but when I'm out it's a treat.

For Lobster mashed:

4 medium to large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 bay leaves
1 pound lobster meat
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (to saute lobster) plus 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), for the potatoes
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
3 ounces soft herbed cheese (recommended: Boursin)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Boil the potatoes with the bay leaves until the potatoes are tender. While the potatoes are cooking, saute lobster meat in oil and butter until it is no longer translucent, and set aside. Drain the potatoes well and discard the bay leaves, then mash the potatoes. Using a beater, add in 1 stick of butter and salt and white pepper. Fold the lobster meat into the potatoes and set aside in a warm place.
YUM!!!

Shawn said...

Thank you! I can't wait to try it. The white pepper and boursin are nice touches.

And, that onion pie looks outrageous -- though I bet you're not surprised by that!